A fantastic opportunity for easy team building is….Halloween.
If the extent of your company’s Halloween celebration is a dish of candy corn and a few streamers, you’re missing out.
Engagement, not passive entertainment, is key to successful team building. Halloween is one of the easiest holidays to engage employees in fun activities that everyone will enjoy and that don’t need to break your budget.
Everyone Loves Halloween!
According to a 2015 Harris Poll, Halloween ranks third among U.S. adults for favorite holiday. Christmas and Thanksgiving come in at #1 and #2, respectively, but Halloween outranks the Fourth of July, Memorial Day and even “my birthday.” Halloween is gaining with Millenials; it surpassed Thanksgiving as this demographic’s second favorite holiday.
Halloween is naturally geared toward engagement and creativity, from carving pumpkins to making costumes.
Don’t shy away from enjoying a little fun in the workplace. Forbes contributor Lynda Shaw suggests that employee disengagement rises when company leaders get trapped by their own worries and pass along that negativity to their workforce. Far from frivolous, fostering a fun and positive environment is good for business, Shaw says.
“…make good times part of company culture. It is not self indulgent, it is necessary for best practice and a strong business. Leaders who perpetuate a fun environment yield excellent employee engagement and higher profits, but it needs to come from the top.
Do you have a fizzy Friday? Or a random day for pizzas for everyone at lunchtime? How about an ice cream delivery mid-afternoon?
There are many ways to perpetuate fun that are not expensive. A little thought and small investment can result in happy, creative and productive staff.”
That’s why we love Halloween and think you should, too! It’s made for team building and boosting employee engagement.
9 Easy Ideas for Team Building & Workplace Halloween Fun:
Here are easy and affordable ways to build team morale and engagement this Halloween — and have a blast while you’re at it.
For something to share with colleagues, download our “Halloween Team Building Guide” for helping plan your Halloween fun!
If you need more inspiration check out the crafty, clever and creative ideas on our Pinterest Halloween board.
1. Throw a Halloween breakfast, lunch or mid-day break with fun themed food. Provide treats, but welcome potluck donations and encourage creativity. If the potluck generates enough interest, turn it into a contest for Best-Tasting, Best Halloween-themed, Scariest Dish, etc.
2. Run a themed decoration contest for office doors or cubicles. Have people work in teams, and come up with unique prize categories.
3. Encourage employees to dress up in costumes. We’ve got helpful tips for conjuring up Halloween contests in the workplace which include setting some parameters for work appropriate costumes. If individuals are shy about donning a costume, encourage departments to dress up in group costumes.
4. Have a costume party or parade. Bring a boombox and play Halloween CDs, or hook up speakers to a computer to play a Halloween Pandora station, a Spotify playlist, or your own mix (to get you started, here’s a list of the best Halloween Top 40 songs from the past 50 years).
5. Host a pumpkin-carving event. Provide pumpkins and carving utensils. Encourage employees to invite their families to join in the fun.
6. Have Trick-or-Treat in the office. Nobody’s too old to trick-or-treat!
7. Play Halloween team building games.
8. Schedule volunteer activities on Halloween. Have teams dress in costume and support favorite community causes.
9. Share a small gift — gThankYou! Candy Gift Certificates accompanied by custom “Thank You” cards are perfect for your Halloween appreciation and thanks!
And, be sure to include remote workers. They’ll want to be part of the fun too. Skype them in during a party and send them a gift certificate for pizza or candy so they can feel celebrated.
Make your workplace Halloween inclusive to maximize team building and engagement opportunities. Be sure management gets in on the fun!
Wishing you a frightfully fun Halloween!
For comprehensive how-to information on building a vibrant culture of recognition, download our FREE eBook, “The Ultimate Guide to Employee Gift-Giving” now.
Learn More About gThankYou!