Recognition is one of the top three creators of “workplace superheroes,” along with opportunities for growth and trust.
Kevin Kruse, serial entrepreneur behind award-winning companies and best-selling author of Employee Engagement 2.0, makes that observation in his book and in a Forbes article, “Employee Recognition: 5 Keys from Taj Hotels Resorts.”
He notes: Many best practices for recognition can be gleaned from a company many Westerners are unfamiliar with, Taj Hotels Resorts and Palaces.
An interesting article in Harvard Business Review, “The Ordinary Heroes of the Taj,” links the Taj’s employee service training to their heroic performance during more than one terrorist incident.
While most businesses luckily won’t have to deal with terrorist incidents, any service business can use these tips to successfully thank and recognize employees.
From the article, Kruse pinpoints the following 5 keys :
1. Expressions of gratitude must come from immediate supervisors, who are central to determining how employees feel about the company. This bears out the old saying suggesting that people join companies, but leave managers.
2. The timing of the recognition is usually more important than the reward itself. A verbal “thank you” at the time of exceptional work is better than a financial thank you six months later.
3. The Taj Group created a Special Thanks and Recognition System (STARS) that links customer delight to employee rewards. The important point here is that they have a system for thanking employees ongoing.
4. Employees accumulate points throughout the year for compliments from guests, compliments from colleagues, and their own suggestions. Appreciation from one’s peers can be more powerful than praise from management.
5. At the end of each day, a STARS committee reviews all nominations and suggestions. At the end of each day. Wow! That keeps the momentum going.
How do you provide recognition in your service business? What makes a difference for you?
About gThankYou, LLC
Turkey Gift Certificates and Turkey Or Ham Gift Certificates by gThankYou! are two of America’s favorite employee gifts and can be redeemed for any Brand (Turkey or Turkey Or Ham), at virtually any Grocery Store in the U.S.
gThankYou, LLC provides company leaders with a variety of easy, meaningful and affordable ways to recognize and reward employees, holiday time or anytime. gThankYou! Certificates of Gratitude and our free Enclosure Cards are personalizable including incorporating your company logo. And, nearly all orders ship same day.
gThankYou, LLC (www.gthankyou.com) is based in Madison, Wisconsin. Contact: Rick Kiley, Chief ThankYou! Officer, gThankYou, LLC at email@example.com or 888-484-1658.
Follow the Company Blog – “Celebrating Work”.
Join the Conversation @gThankYou
Watch our gThankYou! YouTube Video – “Learn More About Us”.
“G” logo and “Certificates of Gratitude” are trademarks and “gThankYou” is a registered trademark of gThankYou, LLC.
Learn More About gThankYou!