Thank your team regularly — it pays off in so many ways! Enjoy more engaged, productive employees who are willing to go the extra mile for you, who take initiative in solving problems, and who treat your customers right. All of this, of course, improves your bottom line.
How can you thank your team in creative ways without spending a ton of money? Here are 10 ways to thank them like a pro!
thank your team Like a Pro – Do it Daily!
Our first five tips come from an About Money post, “40 Ways to Say Thank You at Work.”
“In a workplace committed to creating an attitude of gratitude and employee recognition on a daily basis, every day should be Thanksgiving Day. Employee recognition … is appreciated by employees in almost any form.”
- Spoken Words. Just say thank you—any time, any way, any reason.
- Written Words. Take a moment for a handwritten thank-you note, short letter of appreciation, or recognition posted on the company bulletin board or newsletter.
- Employee Development. Send employees to conferences and seminars—ask them to present summaries when they return!
- Treats. Bring in breakfast or lunch to thank your team—rent a popcorn machine or set up an ice cream/toppings bar. Commune over a meal together!
- The Work Itself. Provide cross-training opportunities. Give people projects they enjoy, allow independent decision-making, and ask team members to represent your business at outside meetings.
Dan Tynan’s HR World article, “25 Ways to Reward Employees (Without Spending a Dime)” cites a survey by staffing firm Accountemps. Its findings state “frequent recognition of accomplishments” as the primary non-monetary incentive for office employees (second only to “regular communication”).
Tynan talked to management consultants, HR professionals, career coaches, book authors, and executives from a range of industries to identify the best ways to thank your team. Here are five of his top tips:
- Flexible hours. Nearly every expert suggested flex time as a perk that offers the most gain with the least pain.
- Make work fun. Host a weekly event—for example, have everyone submit their baby photo and reward whichever employee can match the most coworkers to their photograph!
- Help them connect. Boost employees’ careers by introducing them to key suppliers, customers or executives.
- Give a free day off. Allocate a certain number of days per year and let star employees use them as they see fit.
- Allow telecommuting. According to Brian Margarita, president of IT staffing firm TalentFuse Inc., telecommuting relieves stress and make workers feel more appreciated and productive.
So don’t forget: Thank your team often. And use these tips to do it like a pro!
For more great tips and insights into building a vibrant culture of engagement, respect and appreciation, be sure to download our free e-book, “The Top 20 Employee Engagement Blogs You Should be Reading”.
About gThankYou, LLC
Turkey Gift Certificates and Turkey Or Ham Gift Certificates by gThankYou! are two of America’s favorite employee gifts and can be redeemed for any Brand (Turkey or Turkey Or Ham), at virtually any Grocery Store in the U.S.
gThankYou, LLC provides company leaders with a variety of easy, meaningful and affordable ways to recognize and reward employees, holiday time or anytime. gThankYou! Certificates of Gratitude and our free Enclosure Cards are personalizable including incorporating your company logo. And, nearly all orders ship same day.
gThankYou, LLC (www.gthankyou.com) is based in Madison, Wisconsin. Contact: Rick Kiley, Chief ThankYou! Officer, gThankYou, LLC at firstname.lastname@example.org or 888-484-1658.
Follow the Company Blog – “Celebrating Work”.
Join the Conversation @gThankYou
Watch our gThankYou! YouTube Video – “Learn More About Us”.
“G” logo and “Certificates of Gratitude” are trademarks and “gThankYou” is a registered trademark of gThankYou, LLC.
Learn More About gThankYou!